Visit my friends Give me freerolls

Visit my friends at The House of Poker Blues

CarbonPoker.com
25h poker poker tips , strategies reviews and other product and site reviews

Entertainment blogs

Free Blogger Templates
BLOGGER

Bookmark this site!


Check Page Ranking
Add to Technorati Favorites
    ---------------------------
    Web Pages referring to this page
    Link to this page and get a link back!


Monday, September 11, 2006

 

Superstition and poker

more wise words from Doyle Brunson



Superstition is so destructive to poker profit that I believe the costliest thing a player can bring to the table is a good-luck charm. When I'm in doubt, I generally go with my feelings, but that's not the same thing as superstition. I'd prefer to make decisions based on percentages and perception, but when those don't point to a clear choice, I let gamblers'

intuition be my guide. I figure there might be something that I've unconsciously observed steering me in that direction. Maybe it's wrong and maybe it's right, but since I don't have a more scholarly reason to make a decision, I'll go with that feeling.



But superstition is quite different. When you're superstitious you do things that are contrary to common sense and analysis. And you lose money. I'm not saying I've never had any mild superstitions. But you've got to fight them back and not let them guide you.



I once had a woman come complaining to me about her luck at roulette. She said, "Doyle, it isn't easy finding the lucky numbers. Just when you think you've got them figured out, they change on you." Doesn't that point out the futility of superstition? The only winning road in poker is to make logical decisions. Everything else will lead you toward ruin.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home










Advertise Here


5th street forum blog